Urology Expert Forum
Vessel on penis after radical orchiectomy

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I had a left radical orchiectomy 4 weeks ago for stage 1a seminoma and 3 weeks after the surgery I had sex afew times and since then I have a vessel about 1cm to the right of my left dorsal vein. It is firm(feels like a tendon) and about 2mm in thickness with no color and consistant feel(no bumps), it seems to run from my incision or around that area to the gland of the penis(where it suddenly stops). It is hard to feel once it gets to the pubic bone area but it defenetly runs above the actual pubic bone. The vessel runs at 11 oclock fairly straight then curves off(towards inscision) on the pubic bone once it leaves the penis shaft.

I have seen my urologist, I tried telling him it was not a vein and that I can see the vein next to it, he said "you have 2 veins on the top, one at 10 oclock and one at 2 oclock, this is a thrombosed vein and can last for several months, it is harmless and will go away by itself".

I have never seen this vessel before, I can see my left and right dorsal vein quiet clearly and this is not it.
In the weeks before this vessel popped up I had very slight nerve pain on my leg and scrotum from the surgery, this nerve pain seemed to migrate to and from difrent areas week to week for 3 weeks. and it eventually moved to where this vessel ends on my penis, but 90% of all my nerve pain went away afew days before this vessel popped up.

My pharmacist was surprised he did not order a doppler, I want to know if it is a nerve or a lymph vessel and if it is serious?(can any damage be done).

Another question, does any urologist "routinely" cut a nerve for a radical orchiectomy, or did my doctor screw up?
Thanks.
I can't comment on the procedure without seeing or examining the records.

As for the vessel, a thrombosed vein is certainly possible.  An ultrasound can be considered for further diagnosis.  If the vein is indeed thrombosed, conservative measures are usually tried first - such as warm compresses and NSAIDs.  Surgical therapy can be considered if the symptoms continue.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with another urological referral.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_