Urology Expert Forum
Viagra and Propecia

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Viagra and Propecia

Hi. I believe I am experiencing problems maintaining and achieving an erection do to Propecia. Is it apropriate to take Viagra for these issues, if I wish to continue taking the Propecia? Is it safe? Will the Viagra work even if the Propecia is causing the ED?

Thank you so much for your time in considering this question.

Brian
Impotence is a known side effect of Propecia.  Taking Viagra may help if you continue to need Propecia.

In general, Propecia is a pretty safe medication for baldness.

If the Propecia is not the cause of the ED, checking a testosterone level as well as examining blood flow to the penis can be considered.  Blood tests to evaluate for metabolic diseases like thyroid disorders or diabetes can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_