Urology Expert Forum
Vicodin / Norco increasing serum creatinine levels
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Vicodin / Norco increasing serum creatinine levels

I am a type 1 diabetic of 31 years and am 33 yo.  5'8" 160lbs, mostly all muscle.  I exercise a lot, I always have.  I have good control over my diabetes but have had some normal wear and tear that comes with the disease, but nothing major at all.  When I was 13 my kidney's shut down for about 3 months due to a bacterial infection.  I was on peritoneal dialysis during this time.  Some kidney damage occured, and have had high blood pressure as a result.  I have a degree in biochemistry and am active in the diabetic community so feel free to get technical as can be, if needed.

I have developed migraines about 3 years ago.  I don't get them often, 3 times a year at most.  When I get these migraines Norco for the head pain and phenegran for the nausea work well for me.  However, I notice that when I take norco / vicodin it raises my serum creatinine levels.  Normal range for my creatinine is 1.1-1.4 mg/dl, but when I take norco it can get up to 1.7.

My question is; Is this normal that while taking Norco / Vicodin that my Serum Creatnine levels will rise?  Also is this bad for me?  I notice that after about a month of stopping norco after maybe 3 days of use my levels fall back to normal.  I get blood work done at minimum quarterly.