Urology Expert Forum
Voiding Dysfunction, Urinary Frequency , Vulvodynia and Interstitial Cy...
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Voiding Dysfunction, Urinary Frequency , Vulvodynia and Interstitial Cystitis

I have been diagnosed with voiding dysfunction, urinary frequency, vulvodynia and IC.  All levels are severe.  

Initially, I was diagnosed with post-traumatic urethritis, secondary to scarring when I was injured from an inflated foley catheter being ripped out of me while I was standing up, by an RN.  Can you even imagine that happening.  I had several weeks of UTI's that wouldn't go away, even with antiobiotics.  I had a pelvic ultrasound done on me that showed a

I've had 18 months of voiding problems, pain, spasms, frequency, some urgency recently, and vulvodynia.  I never had any of this prior to the foley being forcibly ripped out of me.  

So, my question is...Can trauma to the urethra, pelvic floor and bladder cause voiding dysfunctions, pelvic floor dysfunctions, urinary frequency and ultimately cause IC.  I know that there are theories as to the causes of IC, but I'd like to know about the causes of the other issues I'm having, like the voiding dysfunction and the pelvic floor dysfunction.  

I've had several sessions of pelvic-floor therapy and they help for awhile.  I'm on numerous medications, still after all this time, and was wondering what you think my prognosis is?

Thanks for your time and help Doctor.


Related Discussions
233190 tn?1278553401
Any disruption in the urothelium can lead to interstitial cystitis.  It may be possible for the foley trauma to lead to such disruption.  However, it is difficult to say for sure.  

Regarding the degree of severity, one can consider a potassium sensitivity test to confirm the diagnosis of IC.  Medications like Elmiron can be used for treatment.  

Another treatment option would be intravescial DMSO, which studies have shown improvement in about 50 percent of patients.  

If there are issues with chronic UTIs, you may want to consider prophlyactic antibiotic therapy to prevent future occurances.

These options can be discussed with your urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
Continue discussion Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now