Urology Expert Forum
WHAT IS EGFR

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

WHAT IS EGFR

Hey, I've been sick for 3weeks with a cough but i had my routine blood work and my copy said EGFR 56 low and I have no idea what this is and my WBC was 3.3 low and TSH 52.45 high.  And the only thing the Dr was concern about was the TSH. I understand that but does this EGFR  many anything?  I would appreciate  any input! THANK YOU
EGFR  stands for “estimated glomerular filtration rate,” which is a way of  examining kidney function. Remember, it is an estimated value, and therefore  is certainly not the definitive answer. Though your value is slightly low, it is an estimated  value only. I  would contact  your family physician to discuss the lab and see if this person thinks  there is any need for concern.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.
I am not a doctor, but the test you're referring to is probably eGFR. This measures kidney function. TSH measures thyroid function. I wouldn't give you any medical advice other than to be persistent in questioning your doctor; after all, you are in charge of your health care.