UROLOGY
FORUM
Watery Semen
by Dave__0__0, Jul 15, 1998

I am 30 years old Asian.  I get wet very easily when I am excited.  About two weeks ago, I noticed that my semen is more watery (not as thick or coagulate) than before.  I always had white or somewhat yellowish semen.  Is there something wrong with my sperm or body?  Or, do I just need to get more protein?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Dave,
     The normal ejaculate volume is 1.5-5.0 ml.  Freshly produced semen is a coagulum that liquefies 5-25 minutes after ejaculation.  The constiuents of the semen responsible for coagulation originate in the seminal vesicles.  The seminal vesicles contribute fructose and prostaglandins to the semen.  The proteolytic enzymes that initiate liquefaction are found in the prostate.  The viscosity of your semen changes depending upon the time that it is allowed to stand after ejaculation and the frequency of ejaculations in a given time frame.  This is a normal occurrence.  I doubt that there is anything significantly wrong with your semen nor do I think that adding protein to your diet will do very much to affect your semen viscosity. Perhaps there has been a change in your ejaculatory frequency that may have affected the time available for semen production. This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.
This information is provided for general medical information purposes only. Please consult  your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available through our department at the Henry Ford Hospital  and its suburban locations (I-800-653-6568).
HFHS M.D. L.M
.*Keyword: Semen