Urology Community
What is normal size of penis on child?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

What is normal size of penis on child?

Both my boys for some reason have very small penis'.  I did take progesterone while I was pregnant with both of them to help sustain the pregnancies but now am wondering if the progesterone interfered with growth in that area on them.  One of my boys is 3 years old with the length of just over 1 inch and the other is 1 years old with a length of about 1 inch.  Did progesterone or does progesterone effect the growth of the penis size in the womb?  And how likely is it that they will reach a normal range since they were both born small??  What should we be expecting?  Thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Sometimes in children the penis is buried below the pubic or buccal pad of fat and hence it is better to wait for children to grow and then the size of penis should be evaluated to look out for micropenis. The size of an erect penis usually over 2 inches is normal. Anything less than that is called micropenis or microphallus.

In children, stretched penis length of less than 1.9cm (3/4 inch) long at birth and can be described as a micropenis.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Hi Dr. Singh,  If a child is born with a micropenis does that mean they will always have a very small penis or is there some hope at puberty for it to have a "growth spurt"?  Thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn

If the size of penis is small in infants and children, it is advisable to wait till the growth spurt of puberty. If still the size remains the same then the possible causes of microphallus need to be evaluated.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

my penis is almost 4 in.  Would you rather that