Urology Expert Forum
What is the best bladder suspension surgery?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What is the best bladder suspension surgery?

I am a 44 y/o healthy, menopausal female with stress incontinence that recently began to include leakage during sex.

I have been referred to a Urologist for bladder suspension surgery.  Which surgery will be best for me?  How is it perfomed?  What is the recouperation time period (I have a desk job)?  What are the risks and complications?  Will the surgery be a permanent solution to the problem?

Any suggestions for pre or post surgery?

Thank you.
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
Tough to say which surgery is the best for you without knowing your case.  The question of bladder suspensions has been answered previously by my predecessor and I will reprint it here:

"There have been many types of bladder suspensions used throughout the years depending on the type of incontinence. Bladder suspensions are used to treat stress incontinence, which refers to leaking urine while coughing/sneezing, or exercise. Often a component of urge incontinence accompanies the stress incontinence. Urge incontinence presents with difficulty holding urine with frequent urination The procedure of a bladder suspension has post operative complications including pain(0-20%), urinary retention(40-50%) requiring prolonged catheterization, continued incontinence, depending on the procedure and the surgeon. The newest technique to treat urinary stress incontinence is the pubovaginal sling. It also has post operative complications including pain, retention, and continued incontinence. But the failure rate is turning out to be significantly less then previously used bladder suspensions."

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0 Comments
Blank
Blank
Blank
A related discussion, bladder suspension surgery was started.
Blank
A related discussion, sling was started.
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker