Urology Community
What is typical of a scrotal hematoma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

What is typical of a scrotal hematoma?

I had a vasectomy reversal done 3 weeks ago. Post procedure I began to have swelling more on the right side. I was told I likely developed a scrotal hematoma by the surgeon. The swelling went down very slightly in the next two days and then has stayed the same size since on the right side. (The left side is completely back to normal)  The swelling in the right side is currently the size of a lemon, there is discomfort from the pressure caused by the fluid but otherwise palpation causes no pain. It seems compartmentalized to the right spermatic cord and there is bruising up in the inguinal canal area, the cord feels very stiff to touch above the scrotum in the groin. I have a pulling pain in my abdomen from what I believe is the weight of the fluid pulling on the attachment point ligaments if I stand without scrotal supports on and on occasion am feeling a new pain in my right hip area (possibly referred pain?)   So.. my question is, will this clear up on its own; are these typical s/s of a scrotal hematoma? Should I drain it?  Thanks for the input.
If I were you, I'd get it checked by a doctor in an office consultation. The surgeon cannot make any diagnosis over the phone no matter how good he might be. A truly concerned doctor had told you to come in for a consultation.

I had a vasectomy done in 1999, and never had even thought as to what kind a nightmare it can turn in too. The day following the vasectomy, I had noticed a lot of swelling discoloration and pain. Went in to see the locum doctor who was in at the time, and she sent me home not to worry about it. Next day after being in severe pain, went in again but this time was referred to the surgeon. My wife drove in for my appointment and immediately on seeying me, I was booked for emergency surgery. when I woke up I was in quite a bid of pain and was told that they remove a large hematoma.

Over the year to follow, I experienced considerable amount of discomfort and there was a smal hole in the left scrotum that did not heal up. A year later I ended up with severe pain and a scrotum that looked like a large grapefruit. To make a long story short, I had an emergency left orchiectomy due to a Strep infection of the scrotum, testicle. I took several months of healing and well over a 6 month healing period before I started to get used to the way things felt. By no means do things feel normal, but I can live with the way things are. At times I still get a feeling of discomfort as if the testicle is stil there. There is also a puling sensation that was not there prior to the emergency surgery.

Go in for a check up, you don't want to experience this!!

Ron