Urology Expert Forum
When will the pain go away?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

When will the pain go away?

I began having frequency of urination 5 days before I went to the doctor.  I've never had a bladder infection before so I thought whatever it was that I was feeling would just go away.  I was told that I had a bladder infection (I had slight traces of blood in my urine).  The doctor gave me MONUROL to take.  In the middle of that night I became very sick.  I had a pain on my left side that was slightly in the front and slightly in the back.  It hurt too bad to even stand up straight.  I took two warm baths and laid with a heat pad on me trying to eleviate the pain.  The pain would not go away.  I went back to the doctor that morning.  I explained my symptoms of extreme pain and vomiting.  I had a fever and showed an increase in blood in my urine.  The doctor said I may have a kidney stone.  He gave me ULTRAM to help with the pain.  I have an appointment to see my doctor again in 5 days to have my urine tested again.  He said it may be more serious than kidney stones.  I thought I was feeling better until I suffered from the same pain last night.  I never get sick.  The last time I went to the doctor was more than a year ago.  I'm scared.  If I have a kidney stone, how long will it take to pass?  If I don't, should I go to the hospital?  Should I go back to my doctor and demand having tests sooner?  I don't have health insurance so I'm very reluctant  to go to the doctor unless I absolutely have to.  Even without health insurance, I came very close to going to the emergency room.  Will I be okay for another 5 days until I can get back in with my doctor?  What can I be doing right now to make me feel better?  What can I do to not ever feel this way again?
Dear Meg,
Pain in the back has many possible causes.  Low back pain often has a musculoskeletal cause.  Pain higher up and to one side or the other (over a kidney) may be secondary to a kidney infection or a kidney obstruction.  Pyleonephritis (kidney infection) often involves flank pain , fever , chills, nausea, blood, cloudy and foul smelling urine as well as lower urinary tract symptoms such as burning with urination.  Kidney obstruction is often secondary to a kidney stone blocking the flow of urine down the ureter.  This can be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, constipation, and blood in the urine.
In your case, you were noted to have flank pain and blood in the urine.  You should be evaluated with an x-ray test such as an IVP.   Contrast dye is administered and can identify areas of blockage in the urinary tract.  A kidney ultrasound can also identify blockage and signs of severe ifection (abscess).  CT scans can also prove helpful in identifying the problem.  A simple plain abdominal x-ray can identify the majority of kidney stones.  Your doctor should use your history, physical examination, and laboratory data together when choosing among these x-ray tests.  Finally, many small kidney stones can be watched as they pass through the urinary tract over a period of days or weeks.

This information is provided for general medical information purposes only. Please consult  your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available through our department at the Henry Ford Hospital  and its suburban locations (I-800-653-6568).
Sincerely;
HFHS M.D.-CK
* Keyword: flank pain, renal colic, back pain