When you find a small mass in your kidney does it mean danger?
Hello, I am 36, I use to have kidney infections quite frequently when I was young but now It is less common. If I do they usually go away on their own (drink tons of water).  Sometimes I have to take medication (2 times in the last 5 years).  I found out last week that I have a "small" mass 3cm in my kidney.  I found this out by wanting further xrays of my abdominal area. I have to have a hysterectomy this Thursday because of fibroid tumers, cysts, blood clotts,...YUK! and I have been feeling a knotted feeling on my right side.  So..(paranoid) I took it upon myself to have a vital organs scan/CTI?.  heart, lungs, abdomin areas.  I expected to have an ulcer or something intestinal..but instead it found this in my kidney that will need further investigation.  What does a mass mean? Does it mean that something is seriously wrong. I mean 6 weeks ago I was going in for a check up and now I am having my uterus taken out...What are the statistics of finding something like this to be nothing to worry about? 90% 60%??? Thanks, Ivana
Tough to say without further evaluation - which will likely include an MRI of the mass.  A referral to a urologist is suggested for further evaluation.  Possible causes can range from a cyst to more serious things like renal cell cancer.  The only way to know for sure would be to take a sample of the lesion (i.e. via biopsy).

This option can be discussed with your urologist.  Without knowing what it is, I cannot comment on prognosis.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0
A related discussion, kidney and l ung was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Urologists in your area?