Urology Expert Forum
When you find a small mass in your kidney does it mean danger?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Hello, I am 36, I use to have kidney infections quite frequently when I was young but now It is less common. If I do they usually go away on their own (drink tons of water).  Sometimes I have to take medication (2 times in the last 5 years).  I found out last week that I have a "small" mass 3cm in my kidney.  I found this out by wanting further xrays of my abdominal area. I have to have a hysterectomy this Thursday because of fibroid tumers, cysts, blood clotts,...YUK! and I have been feeling a knotted feeling on my right side.  So..(paranoid) I took it upon myself to have a vital organs scan/CTI?.  heart, lungs, abdomin (abdomen) areas.  I expected to have an ulcer or something intestinal..but instead it found this in my kidney that will need further investigation.  What does a mass mean? Does it mean that something is seriously wrong. I mean 6 weeks ago I was going in for a check up and now I am having my uterus taken out...What are the statistics of finding something like this to be nothing to worry about? 90% 60%??? Thanks, Ivana
Tough to say without further evaluation - which will likely include an MRI of the mass.  A referral to a urologist is suggested for further evaluation.  Possible causes can range from a cyst to more serious things like renal cell cancer.  The only way to know for sure would be to take a sample of the lesion (i.e. via biopsy).

This option can be discussed with your urologist.  Without knowing what it is, I cannot comment on prognosis.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0
A related discussion, kidney and l ung was started.