Urology Expert Forum
Why have I lost my sexual desire?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Why have I lost my sexual desire?

I am 24 years old with a new girlfriend of 3 months.  This is my first serious girlfriend.  Up to this point I was sexually active only a few times per year and mostly one night stands.  I have never had a problem becomming sexually aroused until recently.  I've always been able to masterbate at will and get an erection at the thought of a girl.  In the first month or so our relation I had no problems with my sexual arousal toward her or woman in general.  Then she made a comment about my size not going to work for a new postion we were trying which embarrassed me.  For about a week or two I was unable to get aroused and get an erection from her or on my own.  I suddenly recovered after having sex with her one time and was fine for a week or two.  Then she said something about her old boyfriend and how she was over him but he was good in bed.  Now I've been in a rut again.  My doctor gave me some levitra to try and I had successful sex but it took a while.  I was blood tested by my doctor and he said I was normal.  I'm able to get an erection on occassion but not easily.  Can you help explain my sudden loss of sex interest with my girlfreind and woman in general?
Certainly stress can affect the sex interest and erection.  The fact that you are able to obtain erections in selected cases suggests that it is unlikely to be a physical problem.  

You stated that Levitra was tried.  There are some cases where Viagra works better than Levitra and vice versa - you may want to explore that option.  

Another option would be to examine whether your testosterone levels are normal.  This can be determined via a simple blood total testosterone level.

If everything is negative, you may want to consider whether stress counselling may be a helpful option in addressing your symptoms.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0
0
0
0
0
0