Urology Expert Forum
Will a stone that's not blocking urine cause me pain?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I recently saw my primary doctor for some vague, come-and-go abdominal pain I was experiencing.  We could not nail down the source.  Finally he sent me for an abdominal CT and it was there that they discovered I have what was described as a "small kidney stone, on the upper-right side, not blocking the flow of urine."

I have an appointment with a urologist but not for another 4 1/2 days.  I am freaking out.  Is this thing going to block and cause me pain by then?  I have been having panic attacks, I can't eat, I can't sleep, and I'm in constant terror that this thing is going to hit me.  I can barely work.  I need to know if small stones cause symptoms like large ones.
Stones that are not infected and not causing obstruction do not cause pain. Many people have stones and yet do not have symptoms. Not all stones need treatment. I see patients with stones present for years who choose not  to have any treatment. To the specifics of your question, small stones can cause as much pain as large ones. The  pain is due to the interior of the kidney trying to push the stone down to the bladder and it is the resultant increase in pressure within the kidney that causes the pain. Small stones are more likely to pass than large one.
Remember that the stone was there yesterday, you just did not know it! It may well have been there for years!
Hope that this helps!
S.A.Liroff, M.D.