Urology Community
after lithotripsy should I get the stent or not ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I have a stone approximatley 1.8 cm by 1.9 and a 3mm one. My Dr. is going to do lithotripsy shock wave on it.  He said he had to put a stent in for a week and remove it in his office.  I do not want the stent because I am afraid of the pain to have it removed.  What are the dangers if I refuse the stent.  Isnt the size of my stones small enough to pass after they blow it up?  Cant I pass the sand/small stones without having a stent put in? And can I insist on IV meds to remove the stent if I have to get one put in  or request to be put to sleep?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It’s not a must to have the stent in place in patients undergoing ESWL. You can discuss this with the treating urologist. However, in case, the stent is placed, then it can be removed under sedation and you won’t have any pain/discomfort while the stent is being removed. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
the stent is nothing and it's not painful.. people say it's painful it's not
I just had a 5 mm x 6 mm stone lazer blasted out.  I had a stent for 4 days and removed it at home.  not painful at all just uncomfortable for about 4 seconds, that's it,, and im a wuss.. lol