ascended testicle
My six year old son had his yearly checkup this past week.  The doctor could not locate one of his testicles in the scrotum.  The doctor tried to manually move the testicle, but this technique did not work.  We had an ultrasound done, and the testicle was located in the inguinal canal area.  We are now being referred to a Urologist.  My questions are; will my son need surgery?  Is he at a higher risk for testicular cancer and infertility?  What are the differences between ascended, retractile, and undescended testicles?
Thank you,
concerned
Often the term “undescended testicle” is used erroneously to describe a testicle that has retracted into the abdomen. However, it is important for men to understand the difference between an undescended testicle and a retractile testicle, as they are very different conditions.
An undescended testicle is a term referring to a testicle which remains in the abdomen after birth instead of descending down into the scrotum.If a baby does exhibit an undescended testicle, it is important that it be corrected before the age of one year, if it does not descend on its own during that time. If it is not corrected, the undescended testicle may result in decreased fertility.
A retractile testicle is actually in the scrotum most of the time but retracts into the groin or abdomen occasionally. While an undescended testicle is fixed in place, a retractile testicle moves in and out of the scrotum.
An undescended testicle almost always requires surgery, because it causes a number of medical issues. An undescended testicle is more likely to cause hernias, tumors, or become injured.For this reason, surgery is required to correct an undescended testicle.
On the other hand, a retractile testicle does not require any treatment. It is usually the body’s own defense mechanisms that cause the testicle to retract and it descends on its own.
REF:http://www.4-men.org/testicle/undescended-testicle.html

For the past two days I have not been able to locate my sons testicles whilst changing his diapers.  My wife thought it was unusual so I checked myself.  My wife and I can't remember if this is unusual looking or not but the sack is there looking/appearing normal.  But squeezing the sack feels very empty.  Does that mean my son's testicle is undescended??  Whilst squeezing the sack and gently pushing around the base of the penis/abdomend area my son does not look like his in pain.  Can someone please tell me if my toddlers balls are meant to hide or drop down into the sack for his age?