Urology Community
ascending testis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

ascending testis

I am an adult male and have an issue with a 'retractile testis' which I have been too embarrassed to formally enquire about. During arousal, cold, swimming or sport my scrotum shrinks to an excessive amount causing one testis to easily leave the scrotum. It is very discomforting and the testis needs to be guided in its descent with hand pressure. This inhibits intimacy as the testis needs to be prevented from ascending by placing my hand over the pouch area where the scrotum attaches to the body. As a young teenager I had an operation on the other, lower hanging, testis due to torsion; perhaps this could have had some implication. I recently had a scare where the testis actually ascended higher then the usual pouch area in the immediate vacinity of the scrotum, and it had to be forced back down by applying hand pressure from my pelvic reigion and sliding down this resulted in feeling quite tender for a few days.
Is there anything I can do to improve or prevent this please?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Retractile testes is a phenomenon which is not very uncommon. In your case, I can think of a possibility of prior adhesions forming in the inguinal area as a result of the surgery and these adhesions can actually pull and have a traction effect on the spermatic cord resulting in the retractile testes. Another reason could be a powerful cremasteric reflex.
What normally is followed is that such patients a followed up regularly and in case the problem of retractile testes doesn’t settle down itself, then orchiopexy (a surgical procedure) is carried out and the testes are sort of fixed in the scrotum.
I sincerely hope that helps. Please do keep me posted. Kind regards.