Urology Community
big vein or vein-like on my penis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

big vein or vein-like on my penis

Dear Sir/Madam

I have suddenly noticed that there is a big vein or vein-like tube in the right side on my penis. it is under skin but it appears so clearly during the erection. I have overmasturbated for several weeks before that.

It does not hurt but it is scary to look at it. This tube has no color specific color (at least not blue). It is so prominent during the erection but it is also easy to see when it is flaccid.

Please let me what is it, and how can I get rid of it.  

Best regards and thanks in advance,

S E
Tags: penis, veins, like
Thanks for writing to the forum!
It is normal to have a bulging vein on and off on the penis at various locations. They disappear as they come. If a vein persists for more than two weeks you must consult your doctor. The only point of consideration is clots in these veins. However the clots make them painful. So if there is pain then also consult your doctor. Do not fiddle with it. Leave it alone.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examination.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Dear  doctornee medical

Thanks a lot for your help and the interesting information.

It actually lasted about 20 days until today and there is no change. I do not feel pain on penis but I feel pain inside the groin area or little bit higher (and sometimes between the right leg and the testicles). It is hard to locate the pain exactly but I know that somewher in the pelvic area. It is in the right side of the body, the same side as the vein appears on the right side of the penis. However, this pain is not severe because i do not feel it when I am running or walking or do daily activities, but I feel when I go sleep or sitting for some time. I can feel it but not that I would need pain killer.   I decided earlier not to touch it until I know how this will end, but I have normal morning erection.

I consulted with a urologist and he described as varicose like the one that happens in the legs and said it will disappear by itself and it is harmless.

After I read your comments I guess there is a clot somewhere because the vein during erection is shown starting from the contact point of the penis with the groin.

Please read this message and give your opinion after this additional information.

If a picture can help in the diagnosis, I can send it if you tell me how.

I deeply appreciate your help.

S E

Thanks for writing to the forum!
Yes, varicose vein is a possibility. Only a dopplar study will confirm if there is a clot there or not. Please follow up with your doctor regarding this. It is difficult to comment beyond this on net.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thanks for your answer.

I will follow with the urologist and post the outcome late.

For the time being and assuming that it is a varicose vein, does this mean that it can dissappear by itself someday or by medication or it only with surgery?

Thanks a lot

S E

Thanks again for your answer,

I have just called the urologist now, asking if I need to do ultrasonic or if there is a clot in the vein and what can be done more.

He said that even if there is a clot, there is nothing we can do.  He said that "you have to be patient and it will go away with time".

I could not get detailed information as he seems to make everything unknown saying we do not know why it comes and we do not know when it will disappear...

I hope i can some more information.

All the best,

S E

Note: Although this tube or vein is appearing over the penis is not superficial vein, it is a deeper one.

i am 15 years old an i have a big bulging vein on the top of my penis its been there for as long as i can remember (longer than seven years) and it dosn't hurt its just big and well ugly and it concerns me

why is it there?
how do i get rid of it?
should i consult a doctor?
I'm 15, and I have a large vein on my penis, can u tell me how to get rid of it. It doesn't hurt it is just annoying. Please help me out.
I have a bulged vein under the penis and wanted to know if i need to go to the doctors or wait it out