Urology Community
bladder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

bladder

my husband will be having surgery to remove a 26 x 20 cm tumor from his bladder which is strongly suspected to be cancer. In the event his bladder has to be removed I was reading about a procedure called Neobladder. What are your thoughts on this surgery. We live in Orange County California ( between LA & San Diego) and would like any suggestions on hospitals that use very up to the date procedure.  Thank you

This discussion is related to Urostomy ileal conduit.
I am not a doctor, but have had bladder tumors removed. In each case, the doctors have had to wait for the pathology report to return before they know how serious it is. I was told any bladder tumor is cancerous; the pathology report tells them the grade and whether it's surface or invasive. In my case, a nasty looking tumor they were worried about turned out to be a low-grade surface one.

I would advise you to wait for the pathology report before thinking of a neobladder. I'm in LA and my urologist is associated with both Cedar's-Sinai and UCLA Medical Center, both outstanding facilities. More important is the experience of your urologist with the procedure. Investigate the doctor's background first.

Stay well.
Hi if you need a cystectomy I would advise a neobladder over an ilean conduit. i have an ileal conduit and it has been a living hell. Numerous life threatening admissions to intensive care with sepsis fromt he kidneys!! now it has caused CKD. chronic kidney disease. The rate of decline in my kidney fauntion is so rapid I have gone from stage 1 to 3 in a few short months, it is still declining at lightening speed, all due to an ileal conduit.