Urology Community
bleeding after TURP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

bleeding after TURP

I understand that after a TURP a 3way foley catheter is inserted, and the bladder is continuously irrigated.  My question is about the blood and clots that pass from the bladder and out the Foley after the procedure.  How does blood from the urethra/prostate (which I understand to be compressed by the Foley and below the bladder) get into the bladder in the first place?  Is the blood that drains through the foley during the first few days post procedure that which remains from the procedure, or is there ever new blood from inside the urethra that somehow travels into the bladder?  If so, how does it get there?  Thank you!!!!