Urology Expert Forum
bleeding from penis when aroused

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

bleeding from penis when aroused

a few months ago i noticed bleeding from my penis(urethra) after particularly vigourous intercourse during which my erection was bent down to a very uncomfortable position briefly. the blood was not flowing but washed away when i urinated. I put this out of my mind untill it ocurred again the next time during sex about two weeks later. since then when particularly aroused i  feel a slight discomfort from somwhere behind my testicles and a volume of blood folows. This does not flow but is washed out when i next urinate (often along with blood clots) My ejaculate remains normal.
I have spoken to my GP about this and have had blood and urine tests done. The tests confirm that my liver and kidney functions are normal, blood count is normal and beyond slight protein traces my urine is normal.
I have also been for an endoscopy but beyond a slight redness in one small area of my urethra everything (bladder included) looks fine. The hospital where the endosopy was done prescribed a short course of antibiotis for 'non-specific urethrits'. The course was completed but the problem persists...
I suspect that during that first time i somehow manged to rupture a blood vessel or perhaps part of the corpus cavernosa and now when aroused beyond a certain point it is reopening and leting out a quantity of blood?
I went for a week without sex before and after the endoscopy but now i find that it has not helped :(

my GP and the Hospital seem unwilling to listen to my symptons in any detail... any help would be greatly appreciated as i am unable to engage in intercourse anymore :(

I am very concerned about this and would like to know where the blood is coming from and what treatment might put a stop to it.

Many thanks
Trauma or irritation from intercourse can cause the symptoms.  You may want to ensure there is no infection present, by testing for UTIs and STDs via various urine tests.  

The cystoscopy would be a reasonable test to ensure there isn't any anatomical problem or mass that could be causing the blood.  

You may want to discuss these options with your personal physician or obtain a second urology consult.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
0
Hello, today me & my husband had intercoruse, and he started bleeding  from his penis, but there was no blood in the urine.  He is 41yrs old and a smoker, I was wondering is that normal for a man his age or could something be wrong?  Please help me, he is freaking out!

Sincerly,
Worried Wife
A related discussion, bleeding from penis was started.
A related discussion, bleeding from the penis when i jack off was started.
A related discussion, bleeding from Penis was started.
A related discussion, bleeding from penis when aroused was started.
A related discussion, Bleeding from penis was started.