UROLOGY
COMMUNITY
blocked urine flow
by javv, Apr 27, 2008
a week ago, i ejaculated during masturbation and then went to sleep. when i woke up and tried to pee, i discovered that the semen (or something else) had dried up, or that skin had come together internally, such that the urine flow was somewhat blocked.

i can still pee, but it's very slow, yellowed, and leaves me without emptying the bladder. i can feel some urine trying to get through.

i have a cystoscopy scheduled in a few weeks so that the urologist can take a look. my questions: what will the doctor actually when he discovers the blockage? what are the side effects? should i make this issue more urgent and have the cystoscopy done ASAP? thanks.
Member Comments (11)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Vanessa LacuestaBlank, Apr 27, 2008

The urine blockage appears to be sudden in onset. Management will depend  on what the urologist will see  in the cystoscopy. The cystoscopy itself may be therapeutic. That is if the blockage is just due to dried mucus or semen , then inserting the scope may help dislodge the blockage and offer resolution. However, if a stricture ( which is a differential in your case ) is present, then this may need further intervention.

I know you are worried about this. Are you on any antibiotics? It is important that a urinary tract infection is excluded prior to the cystoscopy. Discuss this with your urologist.
by javv, Apr 27, 2008
thansk vanessa! what do uros do to strictures though? is that a separate surgery? i'm a cysto under anethesia, so i'm wondering whether the strictures can simply get removed in the same surgery.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Vanessa LacuestaBlank, Apr 27, 2008

A urethral stricture is " a scar of the urethral epithelium (the urethra’s outside layer of cells) and commonly extends into the underlying corpus spongiosum (a column of erectile tissue that surrounds the urethra). The scar (stricture) is composed of dense collagen and fibroblasts (proteins that form cell-producing connective tissue) and thus contracts in all directions, shortening urethral length and narrowing the diameter of the urethra. Strictures usually do not cause symptoms until the urethra tube is below a certain size."

Source:http://www.urology.wustl.edu/PatientCare/UrethralStricture.asp

Treatment of certain strictures that only require dilatation may be done with the cystoscopy after a thorough evaluation of the stricture  through ultrasound and cystourethrography . “Retrograde urethrography (RUG) and voiding cystourethrography (VCUG) dynamic contrast imaging is the best approach … to fully assess stricture length, location, caliber and the functional significance of the stricture. (Source:http://www.urology.wustl.edu/PatientCare/UrethralStricture.asp)

Discuss this with your physician as strictures are evaluated according to length and extent of tissue involvement .Management differs among the stricture types.

by Roddy29, Apr 28, 2008
Jaw (and Vanessa), I have been having a similar problem although I'm not sure how suddenly mine came on or what caused it.

I can still urinate reasonably easily, but it seems slower than usual, sometimes sprays a little, seems very yellow and often leaves my bladder feeling unempty. In fact, if I go back to the toilet about two minutes later and relax my bladder muscles for another 5 - 10 seconds I can usually get out a few more drops.

I have been to the doctor and they took a urine sample which turned out normal and also put me on a 10 day course of antibiotics (can't remember the name) which doesn't really seem to have changed anything.

What should my next course of action be? I'm not in any sort of desperate state, I just feel uneasy and a little uncomfortable at times.

The idea of a cystoscopy scares me quite a bit.
by javv, Apr 29, 2008
Hi Roddy, I think you're in the same situation as me. You either have strictures or scar tissue from some activity, or you have dried mucus/semen that's preventing proper urine flow. I don't know what's wrong with me yet, but I'll give an update after the cysto.

I think you should see a urologist and have a cystoscopy or some similar procedure.

I'm also extremely scared by the thought of the procedure, but I think the end result (knowing what is actually wrong etc.) is worth it.
by javv, Apr 29, 2008
Roddy, just to add, I'm not in desperate state either, but in the past, seemingly innocuous problems have slowly morphed into serious problems for me, so I'm highly motivated in putting up with the pain for the short term.
by Roddy29, Apr 29, 2008
Thanks Jaw, after some thought I've decided that I'll go back to the doctor before the end of the week and tell him that the antibiotics did nothing and I'm still having the same unempty feeling and inconsistent flow speed.

I know what you mean about wanting to know what is wrong. I've been thinking about it daily and I really want to feel back to normal again.

One question I would like to know the answer to (and hopefully someone will read this post and enlighten me) is; is the bladder supposed to be completely and 100% empty after urination or is it quite normal to have a little left in there?

Anyway, I'll look forward to hearing how you get on with your cysto, Jaw. Thanks for your support.
by javv, May 09, 2008
Roddy29, I had the cysto under general anesthesia. Almost no pain afterwards, and I'm easily in the top 0.1% of sensitive guys in the world. The doc found a small stricture that he said he 'opened'.

I do think that my flow is better, and I'm glad that I found the stricture now rather than later, after I'd spent even longer worrying about it or allowing it to grow. I was fortunate to be in very good hands.

Take care, and let me know if you have more questions.

As for your bladder question: you can have a uroflow test (you pee into a container, and a chart gets created for the uro to look at), followed by a simple bladder ultrasound (no radiation) that can tell immediately whether you emptied the bladder.
by javv, May 09, 2008
I forgot to mention that the shape of the uroflow test is what's used to determine if you might have a stricture.