Urology Expert Forum
blood clots in kidney
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

blood clots in kidney

I have been voiding blood since March of this year.  I also have had mild pain in the left
  kidney area until two weeks ago when the pain became so severe I ended up in hospital.
  In May I had an IVP of my kidneys done and a scope put in the bladder and everything came back
  normal except that I was voiding a large amount of blood.  They could not find where the blood came
  from.
  Two weeks ago when I was admitted to the hospital they did another IVP, ultra sound, and
  CT Scan which all showed blood clots in my left kidney. My left Kidney had renal failure.  They still are unable to find where the
  bleeding is coming from. They sent me home after a weeek with pain pills and Amicar Syrup (aminocaproic acid )
  to try and stop the bleeding and disolve the clots.  After two weeks they are going to see
  if the clots are disolved.
  I am wondering if this could be from the liver and if it is something that could do damage to my kidney.
  Also if the clots disolve and they can not find the reason for the bleeding will this happen again.
  Thanks Lynn
============================================
Dear Lynn,
The condition you have is called gross hematuria. There are a wide variety of causes ranging from cancers of the bladder and kidney to stones. Routine evaluation includes an IVP ( a dye test of the kidneys ), cystoscopy ( looking inside the bladder with a lighted scope ) . When these do not yield a cause, CT scan is performed. Other less common causes include a condition called papillary necrosis and AV malformations ( a connection between the artery and vein of the kidney). Papillary necrosis leads to bleeding by sloughing off the lining of the kidney. There are a variety of causes including sickle cell anemia, diabetes and medications such as pain pills ( aspirin, naprosyn, and ibuprofen). AV malformations most commonly occur as result of renal biopsy procedures although they can arise by themselves. These are diagnosed by arteriogram of the kidney.
If no cause is found, Amicar is a reasonable treatment option. An arteriogram during the bleeding episode may be helpful. If the cause is not found, the bleeding can come back .
This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653 6568).
HFHS MD-KR
* keyword : gross hematuria