Urology Expert Forum
blood colored mucus in urine

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

blood colored mucus in urine

I am a 29 year old male and about 3 days ago I went to the bathroom and as I was urinating I noticed a blood colored strand floating in the toilet. The rest of the day I paid attention and everything seemed normal until the next morning it happened again. Again I kept an eye on it for the rest of the day and nothing happened. Once again this morning it occured again and this time the rest of the day it happened everytime I urinated. What it looks like is little strands of blood with a mucusy fel to it. So what I'd like to know is this something for concern? I have no other symptoms and I actually feel fine. Whatever advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated? Thank you!!
Blood in the urine is a finding that needs an attempt to find a cause.  Even though you feel fine this requires an x-ray evaluation  and a cystoscopy (a looking into your bladder with a tiny telescope). The possible causes  are infections (which may not require such an evaluation), kidney or bladder stones, tumors of the urinary system , and idiopathic (unknown cause). First, you should see a urologist and get a physical exam and a urinalysis.
I would suggest that you not delay getting seen.
Good luck!
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

"This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only. It
does not  necessarily reflect the opinions of Henry Ford  Hospital  or the
Vattikuti Urologic Institute.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic
and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical  condition.”