Urology Expert Forum
blood in semen and urine - what's up..

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

blood in semen and urine - what's up..

Greetings, I started getting bloody semen about 2 yrs ago on and off, md and urologist
said it would go away (anitibiotic with gold fish on label given) and it did for a while but now semen is pretty much always bright red to brown/red when I ejaculate.

About 6 months ago (aug 2005)  I started presenting a visible red whoosh of blood in my urine at the end of the urine stream. It was and still is happening intermittedly.
My urologist ordered the usual tests and a Cystoscopy which presented nothing. Ultrasound of bladder, prostate and Kidneys was done and those were ok too. Psa+ ok also.

Urologist said check back in fall/winter or if anything changes. Blood has come back in Urine and like I said the hermspermia is constant. The Urologist has now scheduled another cystoscopy for another look. Wants to put me to sleep in case he finds something. He also prscribed cipro 500 x 7 which almost cleared up the sperm ..but alas it went back to fire engine red. Cipro did nothing to clear urine of blood.
No real pain to speak of...what's up doc?

Hoomdorm
Most cases of blood in the semen (hematospermia) can be caused by infection, prostate or bladder problems.  

That being said, you have had a pretty thorough evaluation including the cystoscopy as well as the ultrasound.  The chances of prostate and bladder cancer are less likely in the face of the normal testing.

You can consider an extended course of antibiotics - 4-12 weeks - to presumtively treat for prostatitis.  There are some cases that require an extended course of antibiotics.

If the testing remains non-revealing, you can also consider further testing of the prostate - in the form of an MRI.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
A related discussion, Blood in urine and semen was started.