Urology Community
blood in urine after drinking alcohol??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

blood in urine after drinking alcohol??

Im in my mid 20's. male. fit.
Was brought here from googling to find someone else seemed to have an identical problem to me, but they never followed up their post :(

About 2 years ago I had a spell of having blood in my urine.
Very first time it happened, there were just a few drops when I had nearly finished urinating.
It seemed to happen every weekend (after having a night on the beer) and progressively, when it DID occasionally happen, there seemed to be much more blood as opposed to juse a few drops at the end of urinating.

All of a sudden it seemed to stop and i've been fine for a 2 years.
I assumed that after such a big gap of being fine that whatever it was had gone.

Well, it happened last sunday morning after a night of drinking for the first time in 2 years.
This time my urine just looked a little 'dark' but I knew something was wrong, and then half way through it turned quite red.
Im not a big drinker as such.
I have a good few drinks on a saturday night, but other than that, I hardly drink.

Since it happened that last Sunday, I haven't been drinking alcohol and have upped my water, and my urine has remained perfectly clear. (one time soon after it happened a tiny piece,i think, clottled blood flew out!)
I know that next time I have a beer, I will have blood in my urine.

What could the problem be?
Why would it only happen the morning after consuming alcohol???? its not like im an old alcoholic!

cheers.
poor kidney function or a very sensitive bladder
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is very surprising that you are having hematuria after drinking alcohol. Hematuria or blood in the urine can be caused by bleeding from anywhere along the urinary tract. The most common cause is an infection because of the inflammation in the urinary tract. Urinary stones can cause abrasion and irritation resulting in hematuria. Other possible cause is a kidney condition called glomerulonephritis. I would suggest that you consult your Doctor so further investigation can be done. You Doctor may request for some blood tests, urinalysis, urine culture, and an ultrasound or CT scan.

Hope it helps. Take care and regards.

I have the same problem, when I drink the night after I get blood in my pee at the end and a few little clots, noticable on the tissue, I am a girl, healthy and fit for my age within my weight range for my height.... no medical conditions either. I am wondering if you followed up and were able to figure out what it was... thanks
I have had the same problem. Since 2006 the hematuria has gotten progressivly worse. I have had a few CT/MRI been to see urologist, xray with contrast and had my blood and urine checked overand over. They can't seem to figure out why and I've chosen to stop waisting money trying to find out why. Once my urine turned black like coffee...and I had not drank in about a year, so maybe alcohol is only part of the equasion.  
I am 20, and I have the same problem. Female, with no other serious medical conditions. Started last summer, I was having blood in my urine weekly (just a few drops at the end of the stream with pieces of tissue). I was not drinking alcohol, (but did in the past) and was exercising and eating healthy. Got a CT, MRI, Cystoscopy, and bladder biopsy. I had a few month break of it not happening, now whenever I do drink, I get it again the next day.
The only abnormal results of the tests were that they said I have a "Chronically inflamed bladder" but don't know why.

Annd my MRI showed that I have a left retro aortic renal vein. Do you all have that too?
And do you get a minor burning/ discomfort when it happens as well?
I also had a small kidney stone in my left kidney on the ct scan..but the doctors said it shouldn't be a problem cause it wasn't close to coming out. Anyone else have kidney stones present?
I to am in my 20's, 26 actually. This is the day after Halloween 2013. It all started for me a month ago. Only after drinking sodas or alcohol. I haven't had sodas in over 6 months. Been eating healthy, and for my age I'm heavy (5'7" 250) but not affected.
Last night was the first drinking I've done in 2-3 weeks. This mornings blood was heavier than before but still only enough to make a small line in the bowl.
Anyone figure it out? I have a job just don't make enough to see a doc. And Obama care is gonna screw us all. I'll have medical but will be even more broke and in debt.
Hi subterfuge,
Any news?

I also had some blood in my urine in July (noticed my underwear few drops of pinkish/redish drops) and day after that peeing out some really small bloodclots. No drinking the night or week before.

GP checked it and said they saw some blood but nothing to worry about. Then in augusts it happened again after a night of drinking  few drops, small clots etc. Then had to go to the urologists. Got a CT scan, blood check, urine check and they found nothing, they thought it might be a kidney stone they didnt see on the scan but they were honest and just didnt know....

Last week after a heavy drinking session at a concert it happened again....

Im back to the uroligist now.....

let you know the outcome...

Hope you (and others) can share your results/status as well..

thanks

ps i am a male in mid thirties and healthy (i hope)