blood in urine
my 12 year old daughter was refered to a urologist, because she cant hold her pee real well. we went to the urologist and he said her blood pressure was low and she has a significant amount of blood in her urine, but wasnt going to diagnos her just yet. he wants her to have an ultra sound, which she has in a few days. does anyone know what could cause this? he said he didnt think it was an infection.
There are many causes of blood in urine. Causes include lesions of the urinary tract, contamination during menstruation, trauma, tumours, malaria or stones in the urinary tract or kidneys.

I feel that without clinical examination, pinpointing a diagnosis is tough. Also a complete urine examination and culture may be required. Please consult a urologist for confirming the diagnosis. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

thanks for responding. well we went to the urologist today and he said the ultrasound looked good. they told me at the last visit she had blood in her urine. today they said she still has blood in urine and protein and keytones. they gave her some meds to relax her bladder, and they would recheck her urine in 3 months. does this sound right or should i get a second opinion?
she also had a urine culture which came back good
It is good that the ultrasound has come OK. Blood in urine in medical terms is called as hematuria. It can occur due to a number of reason but the commonest one is the presence of stone in the urinary tract. This has been ruled out in an ultrasound.

If she is passing different-shaped clots in the stream, they could represent bleeding from the urethra .Clots can be wormlike, and if associated with pain it could represent clots coming from your ureters(tubes from your kidneys to your bladder).When the blood in the urine is at the beginning of urination, it most likely comes from the urethra, (the tube from the bladder to the outside). Blood throughout urination is most likely from the bladder or kidneys or ureters (the tubes connecting the kidneys and the bladder). Diagnostic tests that may be performed apart from ultrasound include Cystoscopy, IVP and CT scan of the abdomen. I sincerely suggest you to consult a urologist for this after 3 months and discuss these options with him.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.