Urology Expert Forum
burning sensation on scrotum

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

burning sensation on scrotum
I am a 22 year old male and over the past 3 months I have had protected sex with 2 women, the last time being about a month ago.  For about a week now I have been experiencing a burning sensation on my scrotum and sometimes in the folds of my groin.  I am not experiencing any discomfort while urininating or ejaculating and there is no itching sensation.  There is also no discharge while urinating.  There seem to be a small rash in the folds of my groin near my testicles, however I am not sure if it has always looked like that.  Also, my testicles appear to unusually red.  I assumed it might be a jock itch, therefore I have been using lotrimin ultra for the past three days, however I haven't noticed and signs of improvement.  Please help me, what do you think it might be?
Infection would be the most likely reason.  I would consider various tests to evaluate this possibility.

This will include a urethral swab and urine tests looking for STDs (like gonorrhea and chlamydia) as well as a UTI.  

The prostate should be examined via a digital rectal exam.  If that is non-revealing, one can consider a transrectal ultrasound to better image the prostate.

Another possibility would be epididymitis - which can lead to inflammed testicles.  An ultrasound of the scrotum can evaluate this.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
A related discussion, pains was started.