calcification on testicle

For several months i had pain in my left testicle. A few weeks ago i also noticed a lump. My doctor sent me for an ultrasound and the radiologist told me it isnt' cancer, it's a calcification. Her explanation of the what and why of a calcification went WAY over my head. When i asked her what was usually done for this condition, she looked at me like i was an idiot and told me they don't do anything.
  Can someone explain this? Do i just live with this lump and the periodic pain? Will it get worse? Thanks in advance for your help.
  Vernon
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Vernon for your interesting question. This question definitely sent me back to the books.
An interesting topic came up.   A condition called microlithiasis of the testicles, MT, ( literally means small stones of the testicles ) was initially thought to be suspicious for malignancy. This condition is usually asymptotic and is  thought to be a coincidental finding in most patients who have ultrasounds for other reasons.    The calcifications in this condition are very small  1-2 mm and are multiple and are usually in both testicles.  Little is known about how and why the calcifications
A related discussion, Calcification of Testicle was started.