Urology Community
can someone plesase help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

can someone plesase help

I have been suferring from frequent unrination for a number of weeks now ( due to see nurologist shortly)- my question is my symptoms seem to get worse evry two-three weeks ( very weak stream - more frequent urination - slight discomfort in the supra pubic /bladder region ) - then seems to be ok / not so bad ( better stream - less frequent urination - bladder emptying ik - no discomfort etc. ) What could this indicate - prostitias or some sort of infrectio . I should mention ultrasound of bladder / kidneys fine - no blood in urine - no sign of uti ( so I'm told).

Thanks for any help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Frequency during urination can be related to a UTI or an inflammation or infection of the prostate gland. The infective organisms may be located only within the prostate and come into the urethra during ejaculation. If they are not flushed away by urine, they would continue to be present in the urethra and try to grow there causing irritation and pain. The irritation within the prostate would cause irritability of the detrusor muscle of the bladder causing urgency even on slight filling of bladder. Enlargement of the prostate gland can also affect the stream adversely.

You may need to have another urinalysis done, preferably from a sample collected just after ejaculation. A prostate fluid analysis can also be done. This is to identify the organism causing the infection and may be followed by a culture sensitivity test to determine which antibiotic the organism is sensitive to. A prostate ultrasound (done rectally) will give an idea of the state of the gland and whether it is enlarged.

Antibiotic therapy is prescribed for long durations in prostate infections in view of the poor permeability of the prostate gland to antibiotics. The course will be for about 15-21 days and may even be for a few weeks.

Ensure that you keep your fluid intake over 2000 ml per day and avoid prostate irritants, such as caffeine, alcohol, citrus fruits, and spicy foods. Also avoid sitting for long periods of time or on surfaces that are not well padded.

If you do indulge in intercourse during the period of treatment, ensure that you practise safe sex (condoms) so as to not infect your partner.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Kingspan

Your profile says female, yet you talk about prostitisis (spelling?) im guessing you made a mistake?

Just guessing.