Urology Community
can't get erection, not responsive to viagra

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I am in my mid 30's and i am not able to get an erection without continual stimulation of myself. I do not have a sex partner but sometime masturbate and have during the years.  I visited my doctor today for a referral to see a urologist, and he told me that my erection problem would only be corrected by a urologist by either the use of a pump or by surgery and when he told me that i got the impression from his expressions that those treatments were to be avoided.  he did not give me the referral but advised me to try again with viagra, a 3rd time.  i tried and i did not respond to it again.  when i have had a ejaculation from masturbation in the past, I have held my penis with my thumb and middle finger and start a to make it get bigger.  it does get bigger and eventually i will have a more fuller erection and be able to masturbate with that, but it takes a little work to get and is not very ideal.The use of things to get me into the mood, do not help very much.  It does require some manipulation.  I hope to be sexually active with a partner in the future so if my only alternative is I would be open to that possibility so long as its not invasive and I can recover from it quickly.  Even if a urologist had me use pumps, I would be ok with that, just so long as it was therapeutic and had the goal of being able to have erection on my own.  if there are things a urologist can do other than pumps or, i'd be happy and thankful to hear those.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How long have you faced this difficulty?
An inability or difficulty in getting and mantaining an erection to achieve sexual satisfaction has been described as erectile dysfunction.
Some points you need to remember about ED are:

" *  Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the repeated inability to get or keep an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse.
    * ED affects 15 to 30 million American men.
    * ED usually has a physical cause.
    * ED is treatable at all ages.
    * Treatments include psychotherapy, drug therapy, vacuum devices, and surgery."

kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/impotence/index.htm

You should follow-up on this with a urologist as it affects a significant aspect of your life.
A few tests would be required to ascertain the cause and extent of the disorder and to decide on measures of management.
As you would prefer to undergo non-invasive treatment you may want to consider the pump. You can read up more about this form of treatment at the abovementioned link.

Do keep us posted on your progress and feel free to post us your doubts

regards