catheterization
What are the long term side effects or complications that could come from inserting an adult male catheter into a 5 year old boy? or too large of a catheter?
It all depends on the size of catheter used. Is the 5 year old complaining about it?

If a small size adult? catheter is used than this should not pose a problem. I myself had had various sizes most frequently used are 16fr to 18 fr. I have had 12 up to 20. As long as the catheter fits in the urethra there should not be a problem.

I hope that this puts your mind at ease.

All the best.

Ron
By using a catheter which is bigger in size compared to what is required can result in the damage to the urethra and this damage can result in the development of recurrent UTI and also can lead to the development of a stricture in the urethra which is nothing but a narrowing of the urethra due to the fusion of the damaged tissues. Hence, I’ll suggest avoiding the use of the bigger catheter ebcuase of all these problems and thus it makes sense to remove it as early as possible. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
I have IC and have to self cath to do bladder instills.  Pediatric catheters are recommended for us and they have them from 8-12 FR.  I prefer a 10fr cath personally.  Also using lidocaine on the catheter for insertion
helps ease discomfort.

Is this an indwelling catheter or a intermittent one?

Shelly