Urology Expert Forum
circumcision

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

circumcision
I am contemplating circumcision. I am about 37 years old. Likely infected with HPV 16 or more. The reason I am thinking of getting circumcised is because HPV 16's link to penile cancer. However, is it too late to be circumcised now (there is article I read that says getting circumcised as an adult makes no difference)? Also, with all the bleeding going on during the surgery, would it only hasten the spread of HPV 16? What doe you recommend? Is the recovery process a lot worse for adults? Any side effect to be expected?

Thanks for your time
Age is not usually a contraindication to a circumcision.

Like any procedure, bleeding and infection are risks that should be discussed.   The recovery process can be prolonged however, as you get older.  

Here is some nice information on what to expect from the procedure:
http://www.circinfo.com/prepandcare/pac.html

Removing the source of the HPV is normally appropriate in reducing the risk.  I cannot make specific recommendations in your case without personal evaluation.

These questions can be discussed with your personal urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
addendum to my question. does circumcision make any difference to the possibility of penile cancer (given my HPV status)? does it make HPV/wart outbreak less likely?