Urology Expert Forum
congenital kidney

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

congenital kidney

My husband was born with only one kidney.  This was discovered when he was 35 year old and having back pain, and after he had an IVP & cytogram.  At that time he was told his kidney was an enlarged one and that due to bacteria being found (I think in his urine), that his kidney may have a small leak in it.  He's 43 now, and has had back pain on & off and more tests with nothing additional found.  Recently however, he seems to get an infection under his skin from something as small as a mosquito bite.   This concerns me.  What causes a person to be susceptible to infections?  Could his kidney leakage be the problem?  Thank you for your help.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mary,
Congenital absence of kidney is a condition seen in approximately 1/1100 to 1/1500 individuals depending on different series. It has a male predominennce of 2 to 1. It is more commonly seen on the left side compared to the right. There also tends to be a familial trend in this condition. Occasionally other abnormalities may be present such as : an absent adrenal gland , genital abnormalities, absence of vas deferens and seminal vesicles and partial absence of the trigone(which is the area of bladder at which point the ureters drain the urine which is made in the kidney , into the bladder.) Often no special precaution need to be taken in individuals with a single normal kidney. In the face of symptoms of flank pain and urinary tract infection(bacteria in urine). in your husband
A related discussion, congenital single kidney was started.