Urology Community
congenital single kidney

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

congenital single kidney

I am 45 years old man with congenital single kidney and creatinin level:1.4mg/dl   weight:78kg  BP:125/90
I had no proteinuria in 24h urine collection.
but I had 41mg albuminuria in a random measurment.
I work out every day.
How much is the serum creatininth  in people with congenital single kidney?
Is this elevated creatinin level due to excersise or renal failure?
Do I have to decrease my blood pressure?
How is my outcom?
What drugs do I have to take?
thank you for your help.

This discussion is related to congenital kidney.
First, we have had a bit of bracket creep with creatinines. It wasn't many years ago that 1.5 or 1.6 was considered normal. They keep lowering the number for reasons that could be debated.

Regardless, if you have congenital solitary kidney, it is likely much larger than an ordinary kindey, nearly the same volume/weight as 2 ordinary kidneys.

So, this kidney appears to be working well and likely will do fine for the rest of your life.

If you have a concern, you should get a real 24 hour urine  creatinine clearance which is a very accurate measure of kidney function.

Realize, a serum creatinine is ony a rough measure of kidney function . If you have a lot of muscle mass, that in itself will drive up serum creatinine and will make it appear the kidney is compromised. If you work out everyday you prop have good muscle mass which drives up creatinine.

I've been amazed at how people with creatinines of 1.3 or 1.4 or 1.5 have been told they are "in kidney failure", what a crock!