Urology Expert Forum
constant feeling for the need to urinate

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I am a 19 year old virgin male and for the past eight months I had the constant felling for the need to urinate. At first, I thought it was a temporary thing and that it will get better by it self with a good nights sleep, but I still had the same feeling. I visited my general practitioner and he got a urine sample, and then gave me antibiotics. I think after the antibiotics I was 100% good(not sure, but I kind of remember being stress fee and enjoying life for a couple of weeks). The culture report did come back in the mail and there was no bacteria. A couple weeks after I had the same problem again. This time I went to another general practitioner and she did instant tests and found no bacteria. I was told to go to an Urologist.

The urologist touched my prostate and it hurt like hell and I felt prostatic fluid going through. He did not find any infection, but said I had prostatitis. He gave me antibiotics for a couple of weeks, but i still had the same feeling. I visited him a month after and he checked my prostate, this time it did not hurt at all. He just told me that it might be stress and that I should relax.

Six months later, I visited him and I told him that I sometimes feel pain in my prostate especially after ejaculating he said that it might not be the prostate that is causing the problem and that I might have overactive bladder or inflammation in my bladder wall.

In the beginning of the disease I did feel tics in my hands and feet every once in a while. When I pound the middle of my foots arch on a edge of stair or something similar I did feel a pins and needle sensation. I also felt there was something on my toe for a couple of days. I

I did the mistake of going on the internet and found that this is related to multiple sclerosis and my urinary problems can also come from multiple sclerosis. For the past eight months I am building a lot of muscle, have great balance, and running a mile under five minutes. I am able to tell how much urine is in my bladder accurately. I do not leak and I am able to hold my urine for as long as I want.

Do you think that it is likely that I have multiple sclerosis? this has been a big worry that I have been having. sometimes I think these tics and weird feelings I have are due to the stress of the urinating problems.
If there is concern about MS, you can consider a neurology referral as well as imaging with an MRI.

Prostatitis also can lead to your symptoms.  Sometimes, extended courses of antibiotics are needed (sometimes 4-12 weeks).  Sending off the prostatic fluid for culture and analysis can be considered to ensure there isn't any bacterial resistance.  

Imaging the prostate for abscess can also be considered.

You can also look for metabolic diseases like diabetes or thyroid dysfunction which can also cause your symptoms.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
0
0