Urology Expert Forum
coronal hypospadia

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

coronal hypospadia

I have a 1 yr old male baby with coronal hypospadia.
Drs. recomended surgery.

I have read in group mum with hs kid that in cases of mild/ moderate hs surgery is not recomended, that is the latest trend or discused in forum in Denver Colorado (Hypospadia Convention )

1.What would you recomend surgery or not surgery?

2. I have an appoitment( may 16) in children hospital of Boston, with Dr.Alan B. Retik. Have you heard good recomendations about him and the hospital? Would you recomend another hospital or Dr.?
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Without knowing your case nor examining your child it is impossible to make a decision whether to do surgery or not.

85% of all cases are on the glans (glands) or corona of the penis and would only be repaired for cosmetic reasons, if at all.   Normally these repairs are done before the child reaches school age, and some advocate doing them at around 13-15 months of age.

There is a higher incidence of cryptorchidism, otherwise known as an undescended testicle, in the boys with hypospadias (about 10%).

Children's Hospital in Boston is consistently ranked as one of the top hospitals in the country according the US News and World Report.  I do not know of Dr. Retik, but then again, I am not in the pediatric urology field.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
0