Urology Community
cysto for urinary retention

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

cysto for urinary retention

Has antone had a cysto done for urinary retention?  I had a uti 3 weeks ago (which has since healed) but ever since I've had retention anywhere from 50-200cc post void. the urologist suggested a cysto I'm concerned that the irritation from surgery would make things worse. Does anyone have any insight?
Hello KeyD,

How severe has been the urinary tract infection? Has it been very severe? Since how long you have been having the problem with the retention? Surgery would actually help to investigate the disease better. What is suspected is that due to the intesity of the urinary tract infection, there has been some abnormalities in the bladder which need to be taken care off.. Kindly consult your urologist for further action.

Best
My us showed 4+ bacteria, 3o wbc, sm blood and protein. Culture showed e.coli sensitive to the antibiotic bactrim which I started with 24 hours of onset of symptoms. One dose of pyridium worked wonders. The retention I believe started with the uti but as the uti got better the retention got worse. As of 2 weeks ago my urine culture is negative that is when I saw a urologist who said the retention is a conditioned response to the pain from the uti--both the bladder and proximal urethra clamp down, I was instructed to straight cath myself daily--after my second attempt at that I ended up with an indwelling catheter for four days because everything clamped down and I couldn't void at all on my own. Since the catheter came out 1 1/2 weeks ago I no longer feel that I am retaining but post void bladder scans are showing 150-200 cc. I see the urologist later today. He has previously suggested a cysto to  dilate the urethra, my concern is that will cause the same irritation that the st cath did and I don't want a catheter in again now do I want to be st cathing myself.