Urology Expert Forum
cysto?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

cysto?

I've been to the Dr's a couple of times for UTI's.  The last time I had a bladder infection I could clearly see blood in my urine.  I went to the Dr. and he did a urine test which showed a high red blood count and strep cells.  I am a 31 year old female who smoked for 2 years.  The Dr. had me take an IVP which turned out ok for my kidneys.  However, they said there was a cloudy image on the xray that needed further tests.  So, I was then referred to a urologist.  At my appt, he took a urine sample and said that I did not have the infection anymore.  After looking at my xrays he went on to say that he thinks the cloudy section is just my uterus sitting on my bladder but he wants to do a cystoscopy to rule out the possibility of tumors.  I really do not want to go through this procedure because I'm worried it will be painful.  Can you give me any suggestions.

_
Dear Sharla,
Hematuria, blood in the urine, may come from the kidney, ureter, bladder, prostate or urethra.  The cause may be due to infection/inflammation, stones, cancer, prostatic varices, sickle cell disease, or renal parenchyma lesions or glomerulopathy.  The evaluation consists of a history and physical exam, a urine analysis culture and sensitivity, urine cytology, serum electrolytes, an imaging study of the kidney and ureters (CT/IVP/Ultrasound) and a cystoscopy to evaluate the urethra, prostate and bladder.  
Your history of tobacco use give you a 4 X increase in bladder cancer versus nonsmokers.  Your urine should be sent for cytology and you should undergo cystoscopy.  The cystoscopy may also find a reason for your UTI (bladder stones).  It involves looking into the urinary bladder with a lighted telescope.  It is a well tolerated procedure that takes minutes and is done on an outpatient basis.  Because of the abnormality on the x-ray, cystoscopy is warranted.
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians' notes and lab test results that you  may be able to obtain. These will help us greatly.
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-JL
*keyword: hematuria, cystoscopy