Urology Expert Forum
cystoscopy damaged ureter / dilated kidney
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

cystoscopy damaged ureter / dilated kidney

On the 16/08/05 my partner - X - (33 yrs) collapsed in agony at home. Prior to this he had never had any problems.  We gave the doctor urine samples and were told that he had a lot of blood in his urine and something was wrong with his kidneys. He was in immense pain so I rushed him to A & E.
      The Urologist concluded that he may a kidney stone & needed an emergency operation as his right kidney was swollen twice the size of the left. Under general they inserted a stent & tried to perform a Cystoscopy. After the operation the surgeon explained that they had accidentally pierced his ureter. A few days later whilst in hospital he collapsed again & the medical team inserted a catheter. The catheter remained in place for 6 weeks. A couple of weeks after my partner had a follow up X-ray & the radiologist mentioned how swollen X
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
It is difficult to comment without evaluation.  

If there is evidence of kidney enlargement, a stent would help with this.  It is very possible that the pain continues to be caused from the enlargement.  You may want to inquire whether a stent could help with the symptoms.  

Acupuncture can help mask the symptoms and pain, but if the underlying pathology isn't corrected, the pain eventually will continue.  

I would also ensure that the kidney function isn't affected.  Blood tests to evaluate the creatinine can be done to evaluate this.  There are uncommon cases of this medication leading to renal failure, so if there is already kidney damage you can discuss whether this medication can be stopped.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
0 Comments
Blank
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank