Urology Expert Forum
distended bladder treatment

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

distended bladder treatment

I am wondering if there is any treatment, besides a catheter, for a distended bladder. I have had several tests done - none of them indicating that there is any obvious blockage - but have concluded that my bladder is obviously distended. Very rarely get a strong urge to urinate, when i do go not that much comes out and it is somewhat difficult to release - seemingly no pressure. often have to press on it to release but know that there is still a significant amount of urine left in the bladder when i am done.would bladder training work - similar to training used for incontinence. Please help. My doctor is of no help and this has been going on for a long time. It should be mentioned that i am an otherwise healthy 33 yr old female.
Any help would be appreciated.
When you say a "distended bladder" I am assuming you mean one that fails to empty. This is not common in females of your age and the cause should be sought. Is there a nerve problem? previous surgery? medication use that has caused this? diabetes? multiple sclerosis? The list goes on.
If dealing with these causes is of no help, "clock voiding"...going to urinate on the basis of time, whether you have the urge or not, can be effective in keeping your bladder fairly empty. You would urinate every 2-3 hours, preferably around the clock (day and night). Intermittant self caWhen you say a "distended bladder" I am assuming you mean one that fails to empty. This is not common in females of your age and the cause should be sought. Is there a nerve problem? previous surgery? medication use that has caused this? diabetes? multiple sclerosis? The list goes on.
If dealing with these causes is of no help, "clock voiding"...going to urinate on the basis of time, whether you have the urge or not, can be effective in keeping your bladder fairly empty. You would urinate every 2-3 hours, preferably around the clock (day and night). Intermittent self catheterization also is quite effective. You would need to insert a catheter into your bladder several times per day to completely empty your bladder and then remove it and go about your business. In some women I have given drugs such as Flomax (or other alpha blockers) with success, though the pharmacist will question why this drug for prostatic obstruction is being prescribed for you.
Good luck.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.
theterization also is quite effective. You would need to insert a catheter into your bladder several times per day to completely empty your bladder and then remove it and go about your business. In some women I have given drugs such as Flomax (or other alpha blockers) with success, though the pharamcist will question why this drug for prostatic obstruction is being prescribed for you.
Good luck.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.
A related discussion, mimeacistaotis was started.
A related discussion, distended Bladder was started.
A related discussion, urinating after catheter for 3 weeks was started.
A related discussion, surgery for distended bladder was started.