Urology Expert Forum
dry-flaky skin on genitals
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

dry-flaky skin on genitals

Hell Doctor,
I am a 31 year old male.  I just moved to a new city and today recieved my past medical history files from my former doctor. I was looking through it and something caught my eye. When I was 23 I went to the doctor because I had flaky skin on my scrotum and my inner groin area. In my medical file my doctor stated that my genitalia was "very erythematous with flaky skin on the scrotom and in his inner groin area indicative of a fungal infection." He diagnosised me with fungal infection (Tinea Cruris) and gave me some Lotrimin and Hydrocorisone. A month later the flaky, peeling skin did not improve and in fact got a bit worse after using Lotrimin and Hydrocorisone. I went back to the doctor and he reexamined me stating in my file: "exam reveals intense erythema on the entire scrotum as well as in the groin intertriginous folds. There are some satellite lesions. There is some scale." He then diagnosised me with Candida and gave me a perscription for Nizoral Cream. I applied this cream and the problem cleared right up. I had no problems after that. I looked up Candida on line and it seems like it is mostly a woman's condition.  Also, I looked up the term erythema on line and it seems to be a medical term for dry, red flaky skin. However I did notice that "Erythema multiforme" is a condition that is "90% of the time is caused by the herpes virus." No where on my exam record does it say I have "erythema multiform" or "herpes". My doctor was using the term erythema to discribe the symtoms (symptoms) of by groin area. so my questions are:

Can Candida appear on a mans penis?
What exactly is Candida?
Can a man have Candida with erythematous like symtoms (symptoms)?
Can a man have erythematous symtoms (symptoms) on his penis with out having herpes?
Can a man have erythematous symtoms (symptoms) on his penis with out having genital herpes (either type 1 or 2) herpes?
Can oral herpes (I had cold sores when I was 19) trigger erythema multiform in the genital region?
If not, is there a possibility I was mis-diagnosed and had asymtomatic hsv-1 genital herpes and not known about it and thus it triggering a possible "erythema multiform" outbreak?
What exactly is "erythema multiform"? Can it come back?
Is it rare for someone with oral herpes to get "erythema multiform"?
I recall that I was not very sexually active at the time and recall only peeling, dry skin when this happened. I never had any blisters of any sorts. You should also know that I did have peeling skin on my penis once again about 5 years after it happened and I put a little lotion on it and it was gone. I Is Candidi something that can come back? I've tested postive for HSV-1 which was no surprise since I've had pretty servere outbreak of cold sores in my mouth when I was 19. I tested negative for HSV-2 recently. I just hope i wasn't mis-doignosed and I have had HSV-1 gential (genital) herpes this whole time. I just wanted to get your take on all of these as I am probably just mis-interpreting some medical terms. Thank you