Urology Community
elevated psa from 1.14 to 3.2
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

elevated psa from 1.14 to 3.2

My 73 yr old dad had a UTI in March and his PSA was 1.14. The dr waited till june to recheck and it came back 3.2. He has just had to take a couple of rounds of antibiotics for other viral/infections. Is it possible that the recent antibiotics or their underlying infections could have thrown these test results off? We have another appointment with the urologist, but I am worried.
Any info would be helpful

Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,

The PSA level of 3.2 ng/ml is in the normal range.

The normal values f PSA is less than 4ng/ml.

However, PSA levels increase with age and higher levels are considered normal in older individuals.

An increase of 1.75 ng/ml in the PSA level in one year should be a cause for concern, and a work up for prostate cancer would need to be undertaken in the absence of other prostate conditions.
An inflammation of the prostate can cause the PSA to go up.

Do keep us posted on your doubts.
regards
Blank
Hi Dr,

You mentioned that an increase of 1.75 ng/ml in the PSA level in one year should be concern.  I heard is 0.75 increase in one year, and again, I also heard that if PSA is <2.5, then increase of 0.35 will be concern o.75 only used for PSA 4-10.  What is true and what should be used?  Sometimes this is very crucial for deciding if a person should do biopsy?

Please any trusted source for the standard?

Thank you for your advise!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Urology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank