Urology Community
epididymitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

epididymitis

This is embarressing but I hope I could get some answers. I have an urologist appointment in a few months, but wanted to see if I could get some thoughts on this. So I'm a 23 year old healthy male. I eat right, exercise and try to lead a healthy life style. So my problem is this. In the past, I've had a couple cases of epididymitis(on the left side), but nothing antibiotics didn't take care of with ease(I'm not sexually active either). A few months back, I masterbated a LOT within a few days. Sometimes not leaving much time in between. Well this really aggrevated (again the left side) my epididymis. The pain was a lot more than any other times I've had it (basically pain when I touched the top of the left testicle, radiating pain down my left thigh and to my abdomen). There would be no pain in the morning, but would get worse as the day went on.

So I went into my doctors and explained, and he said he believed I had another acute case of epididymitis, and gave me 14 days of cipro. Well I took it, and instead of like before were the drugs would relieve the pain within a few day, it didn't at all. So after the 14 days were done, I just decided to wait. Well after one more week, the pain was all gone. In that 3 week time, I didn't masterbate at all. So then after the pain was completely gone, I masterbated and bam the pain came back again. So I went in again, was put on Doxycycline for 10 days. It did absolutely nothing. Then I waited another week, and again, the pain just disappeared. So I was sent for blood work, urine work, std test(even though I'm not sexually active) and an ultrasound. Everything came back negative. The only thing found was that there was a small cyst on the top of my left testicle(possibly on my left epididymis??). Doctor said that wouldn't cause a problem. So then I had no pain because it had disappeared, but then I masterbated again and the pain came back again. Instead of going into the doctors, I just waited 2-3 weeks, and sure enough the pain was gone (just want to mention that the pain last about 10-12 days before dropping and by day 15 its gone completely...same time frame for each case I mentioned).

It seems that my pain is always trigged by masterbation (masturbation). The symptoms always feel like epididymitis...but cleary it isn't being that antibiotics dont work. And I've read about chronic epididymitis, where the pain persists. Well my pain isn't like that, because it goes away if I don't masterbate, and never comes back unless I do masterbate. So I am wondering if this is more of a nerve problem that was aggrevated during those few days that I masterbated a lot? Or could it be the cyst on top of the testicle, or on the epi that's being aggrevated each ejaculation?

Non-antinflammatory's don't really help at all. I've tried everything. The only thing that does work is not ejaculating...and well that's a problem. I am afraid to even masterbate or if I was in a relationship, I'd be afraid to do anything just to avoid the pain. I am wondering, if it is a nerve problem or the epi isn't completely healed...should I avoid ejaculation for a couple months completely, could it be that it needs time to heal??

Thank you for your time and consideration, I hope to hear from anyone that could be of help or provide some knowledge into this.
Dude, im having the same problem.  Well, im not sure if it is Epididymitus or not.  I'll have you know, from what i read about "Testicular Cancer" in men, that 25 % of doctors make an incorrect diagnosis of saying that it is Epididymitus when in fact, it is cancer.  In your case though, you said you had an ultrasound and it came back negative, so if u had cancer, it would have shown up i believe.

Anyways, iam a naturally sexual person.  I love to masterbate being that im so sexual and am just fascinated by the female body so much, i can't help it.  But funny thing was, i've supposedly had epididymitus since summer of '07, and now finally (literally 3 days ago, so on the 19th) i started feeling pain.l  IUt was only after i smoked weed though.  I do feel when i am hard that the epididymitus hardens even more (as everybody who has epididymitus has said before) but i stil jerked it.  But being that i just started feeling pain, i stopped masterbating (masturbating).  It's hard though man.  Maybe im worse than you cause since the age of 13-22, i've masterbated 1-3 times daily.  So yes, they say it's healthy to masterbate, but i personally believe (along with others online) that too much masterbation (masturbation) can cause damage in the long run...  

Even when i have sex with women (and it's usually daily when i have a girlfriend) still when im done having sex with them and later on in the day or night when they're not around, i still masterbate.  Im just a natrually sexual person.  Well neways....

Good luck with your doc's visit man.  Mine's for the 9th of July.  I can't believe i was told i had epididymitus back in summer of 2007 and waited til now, but unlike everybody else with epididymitus i've read on here, i just didn't have any pain whatsoever, so that's why i waited so long, pretty much because since i had no pain, i took it as i was fine.  ******* doc even had the nerve to tell me it was normal because so many men do get it (technically, it's only normal in the sense that alot of men eventually aged 18-50, or even when they hit puberty, can get it) but it's not normal in the sense that if u have it, it's normal because nothing bad can happen...

I have had the same problem.  For me the pain was more in the pubic area and just kind of radiates into the testicles.  Prolonged sexual arousal without ejaculation seems to be the cause.  And I mean being hard for a long time (hours) without ejaculating.  I had a urologist diagnose me with Epididymitus about a year ago.  Cancer was ruled out by an ultrasound.  After several visits the urologist wrote a large prescription to cipro with refills.  The cipro (and abstaining from masterbation (masturbation)/ any sexual arousal) did help but it took a long time to get back to 100%.
I have it again right now (after a day of being aroused off and on all day long) and the pain is almost unbearable!
i am also having same problem as you mention. but Dr. told me to do spams analysis.Now days Im having ciprofloxacine & doxiciline.
After you masterbate or have sex, you have to sqeeze out the semen completely, not leaving a drop left inside the penis. The semen that you leave in the penis leaks down into the epiditimis and causes infection. When you have sex, pull out and do the same thing. You will find this is the best method to preventing this pain which I have dealt with for over 4 years now! Trust me, this is the main reason for the pain. Like everyone in this Forum, the worst part is waking up to the uncomfortable stinging. Try this and you will never fail, until you forget to do it. Then you'll know i'm right lol
Is epididymitis for life? Can you ever fully recover and lead a normal life?