Urology Community
exophytic renal cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

exophytic renal cyst

I recently underwent bowel resection to remove diverticula in the lower left hand side of the abdomen and had severe sharp pains in the upper right hand side of the abdomen after surgery.  A recent CT scan showed a 7.2cm cyst interposed between the inferior aspect of the right love of the liver and the kidney which was suggested was presumably an exophytic right renal cyst however it was also suggested that a  mesenteric cyst could also have this appearance.
My doctor seemed surprised that it was situated between the liver and the kidney.  I have been referred to an urologist but am awaiting an appointment time.  Could you please explain the difference btween the two types of cyst?
Sandyjohnson

Hello Sandyjohnson,

You are most likely to have mesenteric cysts which are rare. The incidence is about 1 per 140,000. Mesenteric cysts represent benign proliferations of ectopic lymphatics that lack communication with the normal lymphatic system.
You need to take some antibiotics like ceftriaxone, doxocycline, azithomycin, ciprofloxacin.
The consultation with the urologist would actually demarcate this from the renal cyst.

Best
Thanks Dr Simran for your reply.  The reading I have done on both exophytic and mesenteric cysts suggest that surgical removal is the only recommended treatment.  If it is a mesenteric cyst will antibiotics cause removal of the cyst?
sandyjohnson