Urology Expert Forum
foam in urine

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

foam in urine

I recently had a urine test for a routine physical exam that showed protein in my urine. The day of the exam I remember being really dehydrated and barely urinating anything into the container. My blood work all came back normal (normal creatine levels and so forth).My doctor still thought I should have a 24hour urine sample to rule out any possible kidney damage.  The result of the 24 hour urinalysis came back normal. The day I was collecting the 24 hour sample I noticed some foam in my urine.  Since then I have been paying attention to it and I notice it on occasion. I went online to see what might cause foamy urine and it said that it might be a sign of protein in urine however, I noticed it in my 24 hour sample and it came back normal. Aside from the occasional foam my urine is normal in color. Is there any other cause of foam in urine that is not related to protein secretion?

Protein or albumin in the urine would be the most significant cause of foam in the urine.  

In addition to the 24-hr urine study, I would consider imaging the kidneys to ensure there isn't any mass, structural causes, enlargement or lesions.

Repeating the urinalysis serially to ensure the protein excretion isn't worsening can be considered.  If so, a referral to a kidney specialist should be done.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
0