Urology Expert Forum
foamy urine
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

foamy urine

Re: foamy urine

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Urology Forum ]

Posted by HFHS M.D.-MS on March 02, 1998 at 08:36:37:

In Reply to: foamy urine posted by Richard on February 26, 1998 at 03:04:11:
  I'm a thirty year old male. I've never been hospitalized,
  or suffer from any medical condition. I'm athletic and of average weight.
  Recently I've noticed that my urine has been quite foamy.
  I curious if this may be associated with any medical condition.
  It's otherwise nonremarkable (color, urgency).
  Is it possibly related to diet?
  Thank you for your time.
=============================================
Dear Richard:
Thanks for your question.
Abnormally high protein in the urine can make it more foamy.  This can occur due to a kidney disorder which makes the kidney leak proteins which are normally put back into the blood stream.  This maybe the only symptom you may have.  If it is protein,  and this level in the urine is high,  this is called Nephrotic syndrome, and can lead to abnormally high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
Another urologist just recommended another possible cause.  It is a condition called retrograde ejaculation.  This condition is usually seen in diabetics, neurologically impaired or after bladder neck surgery.  The foamy nature should be associated with recent ejaculation if this is the cause.  Lower ejaculate volumes may also be a clue.  A urinalysis by your healthcare provider should rule out these two possible causes.  This does need to investigated because they are both treatable and may prevent complications which may occur in the future if left untreated. If these test are normal, you may continue to watch and see if this continues over time.  I may repeat the urinalysis if it continues or proceed with further testing under the direction of a Nephrologist.      
Hope this has helped.
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is
your need. Please bring any physicians