Urology Expert Forum
foci on kidney, Ca?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

foci on kidney, Ca?

Posted By  jay on April 14, 1999 at 11:47:48
Two yrs, ago, nepherectomy for rcc. No Mets. Grade 3 stage 3 scan clear
However, 3 weeks ago, blood with urination and no symptoms however uA c/s indicated UA ecoli treated no blood.. Had ulta sound they found two area of foci hyperechogenic 9 mm. on my remaining kidney.. Radiology says it looks like fatty tumor, however there was none on previous scanns. Scheduled sono in 2 months. I am concern as I have only one kidney....kidney function wnl... Could kidney cancer return to my remaining kidney??? Help I am concern

Related Discussions

Dear Jay,
Primary malignant renal tumors are predominantly renal cell carcinomas(85-90%).  Historically only 40% to 45% of patients present with localized disease.  Your grade and stage indicate a fairly aggressive cancer that did have some lymphatic spread at the time of diagnosis.  Do to the fact that your cancer is aggressive, it is possible that metastasis could occur.  The common sites of metastasis are lung, bone, regional lymph nodes, renal vain, adrenal, brain, adjacent organs, and finally the contralateral kidney in only 2% of cases.
Before you get concerned about cancer in your other kidney, let your doctors work-up these hyperechoic areas.  Once they can give you a better idea of what they are, you can make further plans.  It is possible to resect a portion of the kidney if necessary to retain adequate renal function and stay off dialysis.
Good Luck!  I think a CT scan would give you your answer and at the same time evaluate for local mets.  The blood in the urine is probably a UTI but it should still be evaluated.
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-AK
*keyword:Kidney Cancer

Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers