Urology Community
foley catheter leakage
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

foley catheter leakage

MY MOTHER (AGE 92) HAS BEEN USING A FOLEY FOR SOME TIME. IT HAS BEEN CHANGED BY A HOME CARE NURSE ON A MONTHLY SCHEDULE THEN STATED TO HAVE LEAKAGE PROBLEMS. THE LEAKAGE WAS AT OR NEAR THE END OF THE MONTH. IT STARTED TO LEAK SOONER THAN A MONTH (ABOUT THREE WEEKS), THEN A T ABOUT TWO WEEKS. WE'VE TRIED CHANGING FROM AN 18FR TO A 16FR BUT THE SAME RESULTS. TRIED IRRIGATION WEEKLY THE RESULT. ANY INFO OR SUGGESTION ?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,
      How are you? This could be due to infection or sagging muscles due to old age. It would be better to get a urine analysis with culture done to see if there is any infection and take treatment for the same.
Best.
Blank
I AM 41 YRS OLD AM HAVING TO CHANGE MY CATHETER AT LEAST 4 TO 5 TIMES A MONTH SOMETIMES MORE IM ON THE 30ML BALLOON BUT IT STILL LEAKS IM PARALYSED FROM WAIST DOWN CAN YOU HELP AS IM SO DEPRESSED XX DEE XX
Blank
647273_tn?1292094741
Hi, I have had the same sort of problem when the catheter has been placed in the urethra.

I now have had a suprapubic catheter in and have not experienced the leakage as with a urethral catheter.

This might be an option to you if you need to have a catheter in for an extended period.

God bless,

Ron
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Urology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979