Aa
A
A
Close
Blank
foley catheter leakage
MY MOTHER (AGE 92) HAS BEEN USING A FOLEY FOR SOME TIME. IT HAS BEEN CHANGED BY A HOME CARE NURSE ON A MONTHLY SCHEDULE THEN STATED TO HAVE LEAKAGE PROBLEMS. THE LEAKAGE WAS AT OR NEAR THE END OF THE MONTH. IT STARTED TO LEAK SOONER THAN A MONTH (ABOUT THREE WEEKS), THEN A T ABOUT TWO WEEKS. WE'VE TRIED CHANGING FROM AN 18FR TO A 16FR BUT THE SAME RESULTS. TRIED IRRIGATION WEEKLY THE RESULT. ANY INFO OR SUGGESTION ?
Cancel
3 Answers
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
      How are you? This could be due to infection or sagging muscles due to old age. It would be better to get a urine analysis with culture done to see if there is any infection and take treatment for the same.
Best.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I AM 41 YRS OLD AM HAVING TO CHANGE MY CATHETER AT LEAST 4 TO 5 TIMES A MONTH SOMETIMES MORE IM ON THE 30ML BALLOON BUT IT STILL LEAKS IM PARALYSED FROM WAIST DOWN CAN YOU HELP AS IM SO DEPRESSED XX DEE XX
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
647273 tn?1292094741
Hi, I have had the same sort of problem when the catheter has been placed in the urethra.

I now have had a suprapubic catheter in and have not experienced the leakage as with a urethral catheter.

This might be an option to you if you need to have a catheter in for an extended period.

God bless,

Ron
Comment
Cancel
647273 tn?1292094741
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Urology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank