foley catheter removal
Our facility policy for removal of a foley catheter (long-term use) is to do a 3 day Bladder Retraining, with a clamping/emptying schedule q 2h during the day, leaving the foley unclamped at night. Is this still common practice, or it is best to just pull the foley and take it from there? If no longer common practice, can you explain why? Thank you so much, resty
I use the same practice for my patients also as it helps in getting the control on the bladder functioning back. I’ll still continue doing the same practice.
I sincerely believe that helps. Please do keep me posted. Warm Regards.
I had radical robotic prostate surgery a month ago and have been wearing a Foley catheter since due to some leakage between the bladder and the re-connected urethera. The bladder has now healed and there is no leakage so the catheter was removed yesterday. I currently have about "zero" control over urination. I am wearing a pad and just "dribble" into it all day and night. I have been trying to do Kegel excercises but do not seem to be getting anywhere. I realize this is pretty "early in the game" but what can I expect? I am in good physical condition; not overweight and - prior to surgery - was swimming at least a mile at least twice a week.

Your comments will be appreciated

Larry
Hi resty,

While I do not know the answer to this question, medical professionals at catheter product supplier 180Medical (http://www.180medical.com/) might. I've found them very reliable with their answers to catheter-related questions.