Urology Community
foreskin problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

foreskin problem

7062401?1310547527
Hello doctor,
A few days ago I discovered on my foreskin that there was a dry patch of skin. It would peel now and then. It almost looks chapped.
I have applied lotion on my penis so it can get better but it does not appear so.
Sometimes the skin can get rough and it peels.
If you look at the picture i posted up. You can clearly see the skin is somewhat scabby and peeling. its a tiny patch and i can't seem to get rid of it.
Maybe when i masturbated, I was too rough. But it would have gone away. At least i would think it would have.
I am a bit scared and VERY embarrassed

First of all:
1. What could it possibly be?
2. is it normal to have foreskin problems if you are uncircumcised ?
3. how can i get it back to normal/prevent it from happening again ?

By the way, I am certain it is not an STD etc.
I have gotten tested and my test have come back negative.

Thank you and I am looking forward to your response.

It is not normal for an uncircumcised male to get these problems.
Myself currently being 47 y/o have only had one situation where I sought medical help.
Due to having a catheter in, the foreskin must somehow been retracted during my sleep. When I woke up I noticed that the foreskin was trapped and swolen behind the glans (glands).
Right away the doctor mentioned circumcision, to which I responded with a definite no.
I was given a steroid cream and things cleared.

When you got checked for STD's did you have the problem at the time? I'm not a doctor but to me it almost seems to be like herpes from what I saw.
A few years ago after having come down with a major kidney infection as well as a Strep B infection of the testicle. I had the testicle removed. I thought that my troubles were over when I came down with shingles. Most of the rash was on my inner tighs, but I had about two or three spots on my penis.
If I were you, I'd go and have it checked by a doctor. No need to be embarrased as they have seen many males nude.

I hope that it is nothing serious and that you can get it resolved. Nothing worse than not knowing what it is.

All the best,

Ron
thanks for the response.
yes when i got tested i didn't have this problem. But he still told me to get a herpes igG test just to be sure.
I took the test and it came back negative so I am sure it isn't herpes. And i have not had an sexual contact since then.
from numerous research online, it seems to be yeast infection.
The problem has been getting better. It hasn't peeled and has stopped being scabby.

Once again thank you for the response

Due to having been on antibiotics for UTI, kidney infections, epididymitis and orchitis, I used to get yeast infections frequently. In my case however I ended up with a rash on the glans (glands) and inner foreskin.
I have used Canesten and Monistat for yeast infections. It can take a long time to disapear. In me the rash was like little red bumps, pimples on the glans (glands) and inner foreskin. It also drove me nuts because of itching and burning. You have not mentioned any itching or discomfort.

Uncircumcised males are more likely to end up with these sort of problems, since the foreskin provides a moist breeding environment for these infections.
Even though a foreskin can make one prone to these problems, they are very rare.

I make sure to clean my foreskin and glans (glands) twice a day, when I wake up and before I go to bed. If you have been on antibiotics, make sure that you eat yoghurt or take acidophilus. This will aid in keeping yeast under control. Another thing that you might want to get checked if it indeed is yeast, are your fasting blood sugar levels. Yeast can also be the result of diabetes. In some serious cases circumcision has been suggested to those with diabetes and repeated problems with yeast. I myself however will do anything to make sure that I will keep my foreskin. Loosing a testicle was bad enough.

All the best,

Ron
Avatar_dr_m_tn
For such a dry, scaly patch I would like to rule out eczema and a psoriatic patch. Eczema is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals.

Please get it examined from a dermatologist and get a shave biopsy done of the patch to confirm the diagnosis.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.